Wash split peas in hot water until water is clear- let soak until fully rehydrated and strain (20min). Mince the onions, garlic and ginger.
- Saute onions with water over moderate heat until onions are fully cooked and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add water to lightly liquefy then add ginger, mix for 3 minutes or until the sauce is a paste consistency
- Add garlic and then oil, stir until onions are well coated.
- Add water from time to time to liquefy while thickening the sauce
- Add split peas, slowly integrating into the sauce and liquefying with water to make sure that the peas don’t burn. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Add water until the peas are fully submerged. Cook and stir frequently for 8 minutes or until the lentils are tender
- Add Alicha Kimem and Ird (Tumeric), cook until fragrant, 1 minute
- Lower heat and let simmer for 5 minutes, stir Add Netch Azmud and turn off heat.
- Add sea salt to taste
Serves 4 | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cooking Time: 32-35 minutes