Kik Alicha (Mild Turmeric Yellow Lentils)
1 yellow onion, minced
2-3 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 tablespoons ginger, minced
1⁄2 cup of neutral oil, such as vegetable or canola
1 cup of yellow split peas
3 cups of warm water
1 sliced jalapeno or bell pepper to garnish (optional)
Wash split peas in hot water until water is clear- let soak until fully rehydrated and strain (20min). Mince the onions, garlic and ginger.
- Saute onions in oil over moderate heat until onions are soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add water if necessary to prevent the onion from burning, then add the ginger & garlic and stir until you have a mixture with a paste-like consistency.
- Add water from time to time to liquefy while thickening the sauce.
- Add the split peas, and mix thoroughly to coat in the onions, garlic, and ginger. Stir frequently for 2 minutes, making sure not to burn the split peas.
- Add the water, making sure the peas are fully submerged.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then turn down to medium-low heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the split peas are tender.
- Add Alicha Kimem and Ird, and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Let simmer for another 5 minutes, then stir in the Netch Azmud and salt to taste and remove from heat.
- Garnish with sliced bell pepper or seedless jalapeno, and enjoy!
Serves 4 | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cooking Time: 45 minutes