Misser Wot (Spicy Berbere Red Lentils)
INGREDIENTS2 red onions, minced
2-3 tablespoons garlic, minced
1/2 cup neutral oil, such as vegetable or canola
1 pound Red Split Lentils
4 cups of warm water, plus more as needed
1 teaspoon Makulaya Spice Blend
1 teaspoon Mekelesha Spice Blend
1/2 cup Berbere
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste
1 Sliced jalapeno, seeds removed, to garnish (optional)
PREPARATIONWash the lentils in hot water until the water runs clear, then soak the lentils for 30 minutes until fully rehydrated. Strain.
Mince the onions and garlic.
- Sauté onions in oil over moderate heat until onions are soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the Berbere, and mix for 3 minutes until the sauce develops into a thick paste consistency. Add water if necessary to prevent burning.
- Add in the Makulaya and minced garlic, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Integrate the lentils into the sauce, tossing to coat.
- Add the water, making sure the lentils are fully submerged. Bring to a boil over high heat, then turn down to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Stir occasionally to ensure the lentils do not burn.
- Add Mekelesha, pepper, and salt, and remove from heat, let sit for another 5 minutes
- Add sea salt to taste and let cool before serving!
- Garnish with sliced jalapeno and enjoy!
Serves: 6-8 | Prep Time: 35 minutes | Cooking Time: 36-40 minutes