2 lbs lean ground beef, or Impossible Foods Burger "meat"
1 cup of Niter Kibbeh (used Olive Oil Niter Kibbeh to make it vegan)
2 teaspoon of ground Brundo Korerima
2 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoon of Brundo Mitmita (optional)
1/2 onion, chopped (optional)
1 whole jalapeno, chopped (optional)
Grind Korerima from whole seed to fine powder using a spice grinder. Chop onion and jalapeno. If you enjoy Traditional Kitfo raw, be sure to invest in high quality beef to avoid getting sick.
- Add onion, jalapeno, Korerima, salt, Mitmita (if using), and Niter Kibbeh to a sauté pan and mix over medium heat until the Niter Kibbeh has melted, about 2-3 minutes.
- FOR RAW KITFO: turn down the heat, add the beef, and mix quickly and thoroughly. Keep it on the heat only long enough to warm up the meat slightly and thoroughly mix the ingredients. This should only take a couple of minutes. You want to warm the meat and ensure that it mixed with the other ingredients but not cook it.
- FOR LEB-LEB (pan seared): leave the meat over the heat for a few more minutes, allowing the meat to half-cook. Do not overcook.
- FOR FULLY-COOKED: you know what to do;)
- Serve over injera with gomen and ayeb, season with Mitmita to taste, and enjoy!
Serves: 4-6 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 5-15 minutes